Privacy, Cookies and Legal Disclaimer
Privacy and cookies
Centrica plc and its subsidiary companies believe it is important to protect your privacy, and so we are committed to giving you a service that meets your needs in a way that also protects your privacy. This policy explains how we may collect information about you and then use it to meet your needs. It also explains some of the security measures we take to protect your privacy, and tells you certain things we will not do.
1. Centrica plc and your personal data
For this website, centrica.com, and associated services, the data controller is Centrica plc.
This notice explains your statutory rights and how we collect and use your personal data. It describes the processing activities that are carried out by Centrica in relation to the this website, the purposes for which these activities are performed and the legal bases that we rely upon for these processing activities.
We may update this privacy notice from time to time to ensure it is always up to date and accurate. Any changes we may make to our privacy notice will be posted on this page, and we will communicate any significant changes to you where possible.
You can contact Centrica’s data protection officer by writing to The Data Protection Officer, Centrica Plc, Millstream, Maidenhead Road, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 5GD.
You can also contact our data protection officer at email@example.com.
2. Personal data we collect
2.1 - Here we set out the details of the types of personal data we collect.
We subsequently set out what we use the data for:
- Your contact details: information that allows us to contact you directly such as your name, email address, telephone number and address
- Communication you have with us: information about any communication you have with us
- How you use mobile applications and websites: we use technology such as cookies (subject to your cookie preferences) when you use our website, and we collect information about the pages you look at and how you use them.
- Device and machine information: information about the computer hardware and software on your computers and smartphones that is used to connect or communicate with us.
- Exercising your rights: if you exercise any of your statutory rights under data protection law, we will keep a record of this and how we respond.
- Responses to surveys and competitions: including records of any surveys you respond to or your entry into any competitions we run.
2.2 - What we use your personal data for and why
Where we process your personal data because we have a legitimate interest to.
- We process these items of your personal data because we have a legitimate interest to do so. We process the following categories of personal data, including:
Reason or purpose
Personal data used
Provide you with the content you have requested
Analyse performance of webpages and provide relevant content to you
Direct marketing. If you have not specifically consented to receive direct marketing, we will only send you direct marketing materials where we are allowed to because of law. However we will never send you direct marketing where you have opted out of receiving direct marketing communications
For the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims
Maintain accuracy and relevance of your data
Where we process your personal data so you can’t be identified any more
- We may anonymise and aggregate any of the personal data we hold (so that it does not identify you). We may use anonymised and aggregated information for purposes that include testing our IT systems, research, data analysis, improving our site, apps and developing new products and services.
2.3 - Sources we collect your personal data from
We will collect personal data from a number of sources. These include:
- Directly from you: when you set up an account with us, purchase products or services from us, submit information via our websites or apps, complete forms we provide to you, enter our competitions and promotions, make a claim, make a complaint, exercise your statutory rights, contact us by phone, email or communicate with us directly in some other way.
- Our website and mobile applications: we collect information about how you use them and any smart devices you connect to them.
- Other companies we work with: provide us with information to help us deliver our products and services to you. These include companies in the same group of companies as us: who may provide relevant information about the products and services bought from them.
- Third party data and insight providers: companies which provide us with relevant information about you which we append to our existing records, to help us operate our business and deliver our services to you.
2.4 - Who we share your personal data with
We share personal data with the following categories of third parties
Companies in the same group of companies as us
Companies that help us run our business, support our IT infrastructure and to further understand our customers
2.5 - Transferring your personal data internationally
British Gas is part of a global organisation and in common with other organisations, we use third parties located in other countries to help us run our business. As a result, personal data may be transferred outside the countries where we and our customers are located. This includes countries outside the European Economic Area ("EEA") and to countries that do not have laws that provide specific protection for personal data. We have taken steps to ensure all personal data is provided with adequate protection and that all transfers of personal data outside the EEA are done lawfully. Where we transfer personal data outside of the EEA to a country not determined by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of protection for personal data, the transfers will be under an agreement which covers the requirements for the transfer of personal data outside the EEA, such as the European Commission approved standard contractual clauses.
2.6 - How long we keep personal data for
We will keep your personal data for as long as necessary in order to achieve the processing purposes.
2.7 - Your rights in relation to your personal data
You may have the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- the right to be informed about the personal data we collect, how your personal data is being used, and from whom we collect your personal data when we obtain it from other sources;
- the right to access the personal data we hold about you;
- the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal data we hold about you;
- the right to request the blocking or deletion of your personal data in some circumstances;
- the right to request that we port elements of your data either to you or another service provider;
- the right to object to us processing your personal data (where we do so only because you have consented, or because we are using automated means to make decisions that affect you); and
- the right to withdraw your consent.
You only have the benefits of some of the above rights in limited circumstances, which depend on the legal reason why we collected your personal data.
To exercise any of the above rights, or if you have any questions relating to your rights, please contact us using the details below.
2.8 - Getting in touch
If you have any privacy-related questions or comments, please contact Centrica’s data protection officer by writing to The Data Protection Officer, Centrica Plc, Millstream, Maidenhead Road, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 5GD.
You can also contact our data protection officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unhappy with the way we are using your personal data you can also complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office or your local data protection regulator. We are here to help and encourage you to contact us to resolve your complaint first.
3. Protecting information
We have strict security measures to protect information. This includes following certain procedures such as encrypting (encoding) all the communications between you and our website.
Our website uses an Extended Validation SSL certificate that provides the strongest encryption level available.
Strictly Necessary (Essential for making our site work properly)
These cookies let you move around the website and support essential features like secure areas, shopping baskets and online billing. These cookies do not gather any information about you that could be used for marketing or remembering where you have been on the internet. Such cookies are essential to provide you with the desired website experience and are not used for gathering information, remembering your preferences or advertising products or services to you. If you disable these cookies your experience of our website may be affected, and we may not be able to provide some services to you.
Performance (Collect information about how you use our website)
Performance cookies collect information about how you use our website e.g. which pages you visit, and if you experience any errors. These cookies do not collect any information that could identify you – all the information collected is anonymous and is only used to help us improve how our website works, understand what interests our users and measure how effective our advertising is. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
Functionality (Used to provide services or to remember settings to improve your visit)
Functionality cookies are used to provide services or to remember settings (such as layout, text size, font, and other customisable parts of our web pages) to improve your experience. Items such as survey offers, web chat session offers, display your settings, and identifying you as being logged in to our website are all supported by functionality cookies. The information these cookies collects may be anonymised and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
More detailed information on cookies can be found at www.allaboutcookies.org.
- The information contained in this website has been prepared solely for the purposes of providing general information about the Centrica Group and/or its subsidiaries.
- The information contained on this website ('the Information') which shall include, without limitation, information contained in press releases, annual or interim reports, audio webcasts, video interviews, transcripts, presentations and other financial information does not constitute advice or an offer to sell or deal in any securities and must not be relied upon in connection with any investment decision. Past performance is no guide to future performance and persons needing advice should consult an independent financial adviser.
- Centrica has taken care in the preparation of the content of this website. The Information presented is believed to be reliable but is subject to change at any time without notice. To the extent permitted by law, Centrica disclaims all warranties, either expressed or implied terms of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement. All such implied terms and warranties are hereby excluded.
- Centrica shall not be liable for any loss which may arise from the use of the Information.
- Centrica does not represent that the Information is accurate, comprehensive, verified or complete. In particular, the information contained in press releases, annual or interim reports, audio webcasts, video interviews, transcripts and presentations and financial information should not be deemed correct or current. Centrica shall not accept any liability for the accuracy or completeness of the Information and does not, does not intend to, and specifically disclaims any duty to, update or correct Information.
- Certain links in this site will lead you to websites which are not under the control of Centrica. When you activate any of these you will leave the Centrica website and Centrica has no control over and will accept no responsibility or liability in respect of the material on any other website.
- If any provisions of these disclaimers and exclusions shall be unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable then that provision shall be deemed severable and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions.
- The copyright in the material contained in this website belongs to Centrica or its licensors. Any person may copy any part of this material, subject to the following conditions:
- the material may be used for non-commercial purposes;
- the copies must retain any copyright or other intellectual property notices contained in the original material; and
- the products, technology or processes described in this website may be the subject of other intellectual property rights reserved by Centrica or by other third parties. No licence is granted in respect of those intellectual property rights. Images on this site are protected by copyright and may not be reproduced or appropriated in any manner without written permission of their respective owner(s).
Centrica plc - Registered office and Corporate Headquarters
Registered in England & Wales No 3033654
VAT registration number: GB 684 9667 62
Tel: +44 (0)1753 494000
Fax: +44 (0)1753 494001